AoT – C’ville is continuing our virtual events on Tuesday, April 13th via a Zoom webinar. Register for free at bit.ly/AoTCville12
We’ll have our usual astronomy-themed talks, trivia, and (virtual) prizes targeted at all ages and experience levels! We’ll be jumping right into the main event at 7pm EDT and will have even more trivia and new segments (including Astronomy in the News and What’s Up in April?).
– Dr. Rachael Beaton (Carnegie-Princeton Postdoctoral Fellow, past UVA graduate student): On understanding the expansion of the Universe with the Hubble Constant
– Dr. Wes Ryle (Thomas More University): Measuring Stars: The Role of Binaries
– Geoff Chester (US Naval Observatory): A Primer on Astrophotography
We’ll continue to keep things as interactive as possible with trivia and Q&A sessions with the speakers and viewers throughout! This event is open to people all over the world so please share with anybody you’d like to welcome to our AoT-Cville family!
For full details, check out our Facebook event page at: https://fb.me/e/1fv6k0qZ3
Astronomy on Tap – Charlottesville is back! Our next virtual AoT-Cville event will take place Monday, February 8th from 7-9 pm Eastern Time via Zoom webinar. Registration is free and available at http://bit.ly/AoTCville11. This time we’ll be jumping right into the main event so make sure to show up at 7pm!
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM (Eastern Time) Astronomy on Tap – Main Event
As usual, we’ll have Astronomy themed talks, trivia, and prizes targeted at all ages and experience levels. We’re excited to continue bringing Astronomy on Tap virtually to the AoT-Cville family in Charlottesville and around the world and hope you are too!
– Dr. Michael Küffmeier (Marie Sklodowska-Curie postdoctoral fellow at UVA): A Star is Born – on the formation of stars
– Abby Waggoner (UVA Astro-chem graduate student): Watching Molecules Dance in Space! – on how astronomers use ‘dancing molecules’ to observe objects in space
– Dr. Jeffrey Bennett (author/astrophysicist, Big Kid Science): Global Warming Demystified – A Cosmic Perspective
We hope to see you there!
Full details of the event are on our Facebook page (https://fb.me/e/18CGeJlFW).
Astronomy on Tap – Charlottesville is staying virtual! Our second virtual AoT-Cville event will take place Monday, October 19th from 7-9 pm EDT via Zoom webinar. Registration is free and can be found at bit.ly/AoTCville10
7:00 PM – 7:30 PM (EDT) Champion Brewing Company – brewery tour and virtual beer tasting
7:30 PM – 9:00 PM (EDT) Astronomy on Tap – Main Event
As usual, we’ll have Astronomy themed talks, trivia, and prizes targeted at all ages and experience levels. We’re excited to continue bringing Astronomy on Tap virtually to the Charlottesville community and hope you are too!
– Dr. Trey Wenger: founder of AoT-Cville and current postdoctoral fellow at the Dominon Radio Astrophysical Observatory in British Columbia, Canada
– Nadia Drake: science journalist for National Geographic
Preceding our main event will be a virtual brewery tour and tasting from the folks at Champion Brewing Company (https://championbrewingcompany.com/). We’ll be sending a discount code to those registered for the Zoom webinar for Champion closer to the night of the event that you can use for pickup and delivery.
More details of the event are on our Facebook page.
Our 8th Astronomy on Tap – C’ville event will take place at Three Notch’d Brewing Company on Monday, February 17th from 7-9pm. This event is free to attend and open to all ages! We’ll have astronomy talks, trivia, and prizes all night.
Make sure to get there early to put in your food orders and to drink in the universe with local UVA astronomers. We’ll be located in the back room of Three Notch’d.
Our top prize for the night will be the book ‘Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World’!!
Check out our speakers and topics for the night:
– Whitney Wills Richardson (UVA): All about the Fan Mountain Observatory
– Allison Towner (UVA/NRAO): Scientific Uncertainty/How we get less wrong with time
– Mary Brewer (UVA): Exoplanetary detection with space satellites
Our Facebook event page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/513546559519610/